The photograph above is the final edit that I made of one of my earliest attempts to do HDR photography.
This edit is an attempt to rescue a really bad photograph. Here, when I am referring to really bad photograph, I am referring to the set of six photographs that I sandwiched together, to make the final HDR image.
For this one, I used Aurora. Maybe, for the next time, I will see how this works in Lightroom as well as Photomatix.
In general, as you know, you need to get a photograph as correct as possible in camera itself. I believe, and this has probably come about as a result of my earlier years shooting with B&W film, that you cannot always erase away errors and bad photographs using editing tricks.
I really had no idea what I was going to do with this one.
In the screen shot below, you will see the original blend before I applied any presets. as you can see, there is a rather ugly glow all along the edges of the trees, and this really ugly shadow in the skies on the right.
It is an ugly HDR-photograph that I took. Remember, when I say HDR-Photograph, I am referring to the set of six.
I then applied one of those misty presets. Then, I added a layer called Ethereal. Aurora allows you to apply layers.
I reduced the opacity to about 60%, and then made a few adjustments
Next, I applied a layer called Misty Mountain, and then reduced the opacity to 88%. I added a glow. I reduced the “HDR Effect”, made it softer, and gave a slightly lavender hue to the shadows
Next, I exported this to Photoshop.
I lightened it a tad, applied burn to the monuments, and added two sets of glow. As you can see, there are two sets of tints. So, you see the bluish and the reddish hues.
The ugly edges have not quite gone, but they have been softened.
I was tempted to remove the ghosted gents, but I left it in. I figured that they add to the slightly surreal effect of the photograph.